Dates: Wednesday 7 November & Thursday 8 November
Venue: Seafood School, Level 1 of the Auckland Fish Market, 22-32 Jellicoe St, Freemans Bay, Auckland
Final - People's Choice & Supreme Award Judging & Prizegiving
Date: Friday 9 November
Venue: Quay Street Cafe, 130 Quay Street, Auckland CBD
Time: 4.30pm - People’s Choice Judging, 6.00pm - BBQ and drinks, 6.15pm - Supreme Award Judging, 7.30pm - Prizegiving
Message from Devro, Major Sponsor
Devro is the world’s leading supplier and manufacture of collagen casings. At Devro we use sophisticated technology to turn one of the most common forms of natural protein into strong, flexible and consistent edible food casings.
We are delighted to be the principal sponsor of the Devro New Zealand Sausage Competition and look forward to seeing the range and quality of sausages New Zealand has to offer.
Devro joins with our supporting sponsors, Kerry Ingredients and Alto, in wishing all this year’s entrants the very best of luck.
Ken Harlow, NZ Manager
Once you have sent in your entry form, you will receive a confirmation from Retail Meat New Zealand. All entries will be mystery shopped. Shoppers will select your entry, from a retail outlet you name in the week commencing 29 October. Your entries will then be frozen until the competition.
The category judging takes place on Wednesday 7 November & Thursday 8 November, with the Grand Final held on Friday 9 November at the Seafood School located on Level 1 of the Auckland Fish Market, 22-32 Jellicoe St, Freemans Bay, Auckland.
Category judging is not open to the public, but the final judging and People’s Choice Award judging on Friday 9 November will be open for viewing (restrictions apply).
Sausages are judged in raw and cooked form. The criteria include: visual appeal, flavour, texture, shrinkage and composition. All entrants are judged by two judges. Judges are initially presented uncooked samples of an entry. Once the uncooked assessment is complete, they are then presented with a cooked sample and assessment of the cooked sausage takes place.
Medals & Awards
Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are awarded based on the marks received. A gold medal is equivalent to a score of 95-100%, silver is 90-95% and bronze is 85-90%. The top scoring gold medal winning sausage from each category is then entered into the Grand Final for the judging of the Supreme Winner.
Medals will be awarded to a maximum of 5% of the total entries in each category. If more sausages than this reach the marks required to achieve medals, a scaling system will be applied.
Medal stickers (20.5mm x 37.5mm) are available for winners to purchase to label their retail sausage packaging with. Please contact Megan Claxton on (09) 489 0879 for details.
Conditions of Entry
1. Entries must be in writing on the official entry form or submitted online. Photocopies are acceptable. You may enter as many categories as you wish.
2. All products must meet legal requirements for the manufacture of sausages, and comply with the Australian and New Zealand Food Standards Code.
3. All product must be currently, and at the time of the contest, available to consumers via your own or a retail business outlet. The organisers reserve the right to carry out random validation checks at any time prior to or during the competition.
4. The event organisers will have the final say over the categorisation of an entry and reserve the right to re-classify any entry submitted.
5. The competition judges reserve the right not to award a prize in any category.
6. The decision of the judging panel is final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
7. All participants agree by entry into this competition to accept these rules and conditions, and participate in promoting and reporting the competition, and to the use of personal information.
8. The organisers will take all reasonable care with the entries once uplifted, but will not be liable for claims from entrants if their product is lost, damaged, or arrives late.
9. The information and notes contained in this brochure are to be read with and form part of the conditions of entry.
10. Medal winners wishing to use the Devro New Zealand Sausage Competition branding material are required to comply with the branding criteria established by the competition organisers. Random checks can be undertaken at any time following the competition to ensure compliance with the branding criteria.
11. The organisers reserve the right to refuse any entry.
12. All entry fees must be paid prior to mystery shopping. If the entry fee is not paid in full, on or before 29 October 2012, the organisers reserve the right to remove the entry from the judging process.