Dates: Wednesday 16 & Thursday 17 October 2013
Venue: Seafood School, Level 1 of the Auckland Fish Market, 22-32 Jellicoe St, Freemans Bay, Auckland
Final - People's Choice & Supreme Award Judging & Prizegiving
Date: Friday 18 October 2013
Venue: Quay Street Cafe, 130 Quay Street, Auckland CBD
Time: 5.45pm: BBQ and drinks including tastings of gold medal sausages , 6.50pm: Prizegiving
You are also welcome to watch the judging for the Supreme Award which will take place from 3.45pm at the Auckland Seafood School, Level 1, Auckland Fish Market, Jellicoe St, Freemans Bay.
The People’s Choice Award judging will happen in Takutai Square, Britomart from 4.15pm.
Message from Devro, Major Sponsor
Devro is the world’s leading supplier and manufacture of collagen casings. At Devro we use sophisticated technology to turn one of the most common forms of natural protein into strong, flexible and consistent edible food casings.
We are delighted to be the principal sponsor of the Devro New Zealand Sausage Competition and look forward to seeing the range and quality of sausages New Zealand has to offer.
Devro joins with our supporting sponsors, Kerry Ingredients and Alto, in wishing all this year’s entrants the very best of luck.
Brian Tilbrook, NZ Manager
Once you have sent in your entry form, you will receive a confirmation from Retail Meat New
Zealand. All entries will be mystery shopped. Shoppers will select your entry, from a retail outlet you specify, in the week commencing 7 October. Your entries will then be frozen until the
competition (excluding Continental Ready-To-Eat).
The category judging takes place on Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 October at the Seafood School located on Level 1 of the Auckland Fish Market, 22-32 Jellicoe St, Freemans Bay,
Auckland, with the Grand Final held on Friday 18 October.
Sausages are judged in raw and cooked form. The criteria includes: visual appeal, aroma, flavour, texture, shrinkage and composition. All entries are judged by two judges with a butchery or culinary background. Judges are initially presented uncooked samples of an entry. Once the uncooked assessment is complete, they are then presented with a cooked sample and
assessment of the cooked sausage takes place.
Sausages entered into the Continental Ready-To-Eat category will not undergo a raw assessment and will be judged (eaten) uncooked.
Medals & Awards
Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are awarded based on the marks received. Three medals will be awarded per category - one gold, one silver and one bronze. The top scoring sausage from each category is then entered into the Grand Final for the judging of the Supreme Award and People’s Choice Award winners.
On pack stickers will be made available for medal recipients. Please contact Megan Claxton on (09) 489 0879 for details.
Cost to Enter
Retail Meat New Zealand members: $92 incl GST per entry ($80 excl GST)
Non members: $184 incl GST per entry ($160 excl GST)
For example, if a member enters four sausages, the cost will be $368 incl GST.
For a non member it will be $736 incl GST
Cheque: Make payable to ‘Retail Meat New Zealand’
Bank Account Number: 02 1223 0852977 00
(please place your Business name and DNZSC in the reference if you are paying this way)
If you would prefer to be invoiced for your entry please indicate on the entry form in the check box provided.
Entries close on Friday 13 September 2013. Payment must be made before Friday 4 October 2013 for entries to be eligible. See Conditions of Entry for more detail.
Conditions of Entry
1. Entries must be in writing on the official entry form. Photocopies are acceptable. You may enter as many categories as you wish.
2. All products must meet legal requirements for the manufacture of sausages, and comply with the Australian and New Zealand Food Standards Code and Fair Trading Act.
3. All product must be currently, and at the time of the contest, available to consumers via your own or a retail business outlet. The consumer must be able to take the product away and cook it themselves. The organisers reserve the right to carry out random validation checks at any time prior to or during the competition.
4. The product must be available at anytime (standard business days/hours) during the mystery shopping week. If the product is unavailable at the time of mystery shopping, it is at the discretion of the event organiser to determine if an item will be re-shopped. If a product cannot be collected, no refund will be offered.
5. The event organisers will have the final say over the categorisation of an entry and reserve the right to re-classify any entry submitted.
6. The competition judges reserve the right not to award a prize in any category.
7. The decision of the judging panel is final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
8. All participants agree by entry into this competition to accept these rules and conditions, and participate in promoting and reporting the competition, and to the use of personal information.
9. The organisers and mystery shoppers will take all reasonable care with the entries at the time of purchase and once uplifted, but will not be liable for claims from entrants if their product is lost, damaged, deteriorated or arrives late.
10. The information and notes contained in this brochure are to be read with and form part of the conditions of entry.
11. Medal winners wishing to use the Devro New Zealand Sausage Competition branding material are required to comply with the branding criteria established by the competition organisers. Random audits can be undertaken at any time following the competition to ensure compliance with the branding criteria.
12. The organisers reserve the right to refuse any entry.
13. All entry fees must be paid prior to mystery shopping. If the entry fee is not paid in full, on or before Friday 4 October 2013, the organisers reserve the right to remove the entry from the judging process.